There is nothing more exciting than welcoming new members to the church community. The first step to having your baby baptized and to share in our faith is to call Father Lazaro at 310-372-7077. Parents must be registered and active in the Parish for at least three months prior to the date of the Baptism. Baptisms are held in English and Spanish.
Pre-baptismal Classes: Pre-baptismal classes are available for children in second through seventh grades who have not been baptized yet. Classes consist of ten sessions in one year: prior to Lent. Children must be baptized before receiving First Reconciliation and First Communion.
Las Clases de Ante bautizado: Las clases de Ante bautizado están disponibles para niños en el segundo a octavo grado que no han sido bautizados todavía. Las clases consisten en diez sesiones en un año: antes de la Cuaresma. Los niños deben ser bautizados antes de recibir la Primera Reconciliación y Primera Comunión.
Please read the rest of the information below, or download it for future reference.
Infant Baptisms Requirements (30.5 KB)
Procedures to prepare for your child’s baptism.
- A prayerful reflection over the choice of godparents
- Registration at the Parish Office
- Participation of parents and godparents in a pre-Baptism class
- Celebration of the Sacrament of Baptism
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARENTS
- At least one parent must be a Catholic intending that the child become a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church (Baptism-Eucharist-
- Parents must complete a pre-Baptism registration form and a pre-Baptism instruction class.
- Parents may select two godparents (one female & one male). The Church, however, requires only one godparent. Please see the“Requirements for Godparents.”
- If a godparent cannot be present at the Baptism, the parents may choose a proxy (Christian witness) to stand in for him or her.
- Proxies do not replace the role of godparent. The proxy must be a Baptized Christian, but is not required to attend a pre-Baptism class.
- Parents may not serve as their child’s godparent.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GODPARENTS
Godparents are another set of faith formation teachers and prayer angels for your child. You want them to love and care about your child as much as you do, and especially want them to concerned with the spiritual life of your child.
- Godparents must be over the age of 16, fully initiated in the Catholic faith (Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation) and a practicing Catholic. A practicing Catholic is one who attends Mass and receives the Sacraments regularly. A second godparent of the opposite sex, if chosen, may be baptized in another Christian tradition. These godparents are referred to as a “Christian Witness.”
- The godparents must attend a pre-Baptism instruction class at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church. Alternatively, they may attend a class offered at a parish near their home. If they do, a certificate of attendance must be submitted to the parish office.
- If the godparents live outside of the Archdiocese of LA and no classes are offered, they must submit a letter (on parish letterhead) from their parish priest indicating that they are qualified to be a godparent.
Classes are held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church the second Wednesday of every month in the Parish Hall, 7:00-8:30 pm. Parents and godparents are required to attend a pre-Baptism class (unless they have done so within the past two years). To register, please call the parish office (310 372-7077) for an appointment to fill out a form. Please come 15 minutes early to check in. Given the hour of the day and length of the pre-Baptism class, parents and godparents are encouraged not to bring their children with them to class.